Namazu-users-en(old)

namazu on OS X, UTF-8 problem

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run namazu on OS X, Panther.

Here's what I've done:
- Tried installing 2.0.12 but got a compile error, so checked the mailing lists, read about the patch. Since I don't know how to apply a patch, but noticed that the patch was said to be in the upcoming 2.0.13 release, I instead...
- Installed namazu-2.0.13RC2.tar.gz, which I found at http://www.namazu.org/ml/namazu-devel-ja/msg03949.html
- I was then able to install and run namazu but when it comes across (I guess) non-US mail, it crashes with the following error:

"Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xb8, with no preceding start byte) in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/share/namazu/filter/mailnews.pl line 216, <GEN3> line 18."

- Did some more research. One person suggested installing the latest version of Encore, which I tried to no avail.
- Did some more research. Looks like my problem my have been that my LANG variables weren't set up right or that UTF-8 was not installed on my system. So now my env is set to:
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Still no luck though.

Here's my question:
- I noticed that there's a file called namazu-2_0_12-uri-utf8.patch.gz. Would that patch solve my problem if I reverted back to 2.0.12?
- If so, sorry to sound like a newbie, but HOW do I apply this patch to compile 0.12 on OS X: http://www.namazu.org/ml/namazu-users-en/msg00432.html? I've never applied a patch so need newbie instructions.
- Other suggestions for how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Bart